Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I know I'm getting older when

my weekends are filled up with weddings, baby showers, bachelorettes, baby's birthday parties and the shopping for them.
There's no more: "What are we doing this weekend?" "Which nite club should we grace with our presence?" "What are we going to wear tonight? Oh, why don't we go shopping for new outfits!"
The hangovers are still there, but they're mild. It's not like you can get wrecked, dance on the tables and throw up in your mates pot plant... at her baby shower. It's just not done. Apparently.

I miss the days where I could lie in for hours, run around the house in my pj's or underwear the whole day, moan and groan about how I want to die from the mother of all hangovers, stuff my face with junk food, watch DSTV or better yet watch bucket loads of DVD's and not move off the couch unless I really really had to... bathroom breaks were debatable. I could tie my hair up, put on my weekend clothes (as comfy as possible, if they match, bonus) and head out to my folks or to friends for breakfast/lunch. I miss sitting on my balcony with my big sunglasses, opening up a bottle of wine, crackers and brie cheese at 10am.
Ah, the good times.

Ok, honestly, I still get to do a lot of those things, but not as often as I'd like to. I'm happy to be going to baby showers and weddings, don't get me wrong, but it's just weird to think that life has now become about those things and weirder, yet...they're happening to my closest mates! WEIRD!!

16 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

I'm so with you there! Even though I do hang around at home in my pj's all day some weekends ;)

But it does freak me out when my friends are getting married and having kids and I can barely hold a relationship down. Oh well.

Here's to growing up!

The Blonde Blogshell said...

CHEERS Miss M! Here's to growing up!

haha!!

Brett said...

Hmmm - I guess as a guy one doesn't find oneself invited to that many baby showers, so the "Oh crap I'm about to get OLD" moment hits later.

Age is a state of mind hun - growing older is mandatory, growing up optional ;)

ChewTheCud said...

Aarrgh, dammit! Bloody gmail! I only noticed I was logged in on my other mail account when posting to my own blog. LOL - Hi I'm Brett, pleased to meet you all ;)

Globus said...

yes, sure evidence of the signs of eld setting in. it'll be the old memory going next. on the sad side of this getting-old-coin, globus observes that the older you get, the more morose events (funerals/bedside vigils) one attends, too.

Sweets said...

it only get's worse... argh

maybe you should start collecting stamps? hehe

KaB said...

But I don't want to grow up :( I always had a fascination with Never Never Neverland...although I don't think booze, hangovers & a bit of a vomit in a potplant would go down well with Peter & friends!

I guess it's just weird when you're (if you're like me) ambitious & have set goals & ideas of what you want in life...that being married & having children is really the absolute last thing you want to do before well...death really! Sis, I'm joking *touch wood hug a tree*!

Some of my mates are married or engaged & have kids & we're only 23/24...I mean hello...I'm barely making it into the big bad world of work & now all my peeps are signing prenups & birth certificates...no man...there's something wrong with that!

You are completely & utterly normal...I say watch DVDS, get pissed & enjoy yourself...you're only young once, as they say!

Bottoms up!

Lady Leather said...

wow, its like dejavu! I seem to be in the same boat lately. Ive lost count how many of my friends are now engaged/married/having kids...

I just take solice in the fact that my time will come when its good and ready. And sleeping late and lounging around is a perfectly constructive way to spend a saturday ;)

Ruby said...

nice one chewy!

I refuse to grow up blondie:) as chewy said growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional. I still get a chance to do all of those things as much as I wont, plus all the grown up stuff...you just have to face the consequences afterwards...LOL

The Blonde Blogshell said...

Wahahahhaha that is so funny! Hmmm, you're a Brett hey Chew thecud! :-)

I know it's a state of mind, it's just weird!!

The Blonde Blogshell said...

Oh dear Globus, I was chatting to mom about this and she said that I should enjoy it because at her age she's now attending funerals and divorce parties (never knew there were such things....interesting!)

The Blonde Blogshell said...

Sweets that's an excellent idea...better yet, I can collect garden knomes!! I'm so thrilled with excitement!!

The Blonde Blogshell said...

Go Kab! Kab for president!!!

I am also ambitious and even though I'm in a serious relationship and we're talking about getting engaged, honestly it feels weird, not because I'm not ready, but because I feel like I'm still 16 deciding what university I should be going to, you know?
So weird!!

Yay to getting pissed, staying in PJ's and having a total blast!!

The Blonde Blogshell said...

Hey Happy Snapper...glad to know I'm not the only one feeling this way! Weird isn't it?
Haha! Thanks for popping by ;-)

The Blonde Blogshell said...

Ruby you are so right!! So right!!

Let's just enjoy being young, relatively wrinkle free and have a blast!!

Unknown said...

Hey Granny...nice post!hee hee